Friday, January 17, 2014

Family rock climb

Rock climbing is something that Greg and the children have enjoyed for quite a while now, but up until I had the surgery to put my stomach muscles back together last May, I wasn't able to be part of it (due to my complete lack of core strength).  It was frustrating to even think about, because I used to climb everything when I was little, with no effort!

Ever since my Dr released me to start working out again and rehabilitating myself, I've been pushing myself hard to regain strength and build my stamina.  In October of last year (5 months post-op), I decided that I was finally strong enough to attempt to climb.



























(somehow this is the only one I got of Andrew)



And finally....


It was very hard for me to get up onto the wall, and there were a few moments where I couldn't find a good hand or foothold and wanted to give up, but I AM WAY TO STUBBORN FOR THAT, so I kept going...and made it all the way to the top.  Sounds lame to say that I'm psyched to have climbed as high as my small children, but there it is -- I'm right damn proud of myself, and don't you forget it!


My arms ached for days after, and I definitely have a long way to go with building strength and grip, but it felt great that I was able to do it at all.

It was also super fun to spend the morning together as a family....even though I don't really like the outdoors....or nature....and we forgot the bug spray and mosquitoes find me especially delicious....but yay family memories!  I feel like I'm ready to try the wall again soon.  But this time I'm going to remember to take a deet shower first.







(For the complete set, check out all the pics from our day over here on Flickr)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...